Friday, January 1, 2016

The End of the Year

So. Another year. In 2015, I read 102 books. Most good, some great, some horrible. The one that will remain longest with me is the last one I read, finishing it yesterday afternoon, "The Shepherd's Crown", but that has to do less with the superlativeness of the book than with the sorrow that is both in the story and my sorrow at knowing it's the last book Terry Pratchett will ever write.

Other really good ones? "Empires of Food", "The Guest Cat", "Purge", "Ophelia's Muse", "Blonde", "The Golem of Hollywood" and it's sequal, "The Golem of Paris", "Queen's Own Fool", "Usher's Passing", "How to be a Victorian", "Black Rabbit Hall". These books will stay with me, unlike others that I look at on my list and think "What was that one about again?" Most are just good, solid, reads; books I enjoyed my time with but which didn't really change how I think or feel. Or, I should say, that I didn't realize they were changing how I think or feel- who knows what happens at the subconscious level.

What's on my plate? I'm part way through "Georgia", a fictionalized biography of Georgia O'Keefe. Then I have a couple of library books, and Vine has a couple books for me that haven't shipped yet, one about death and one about an opera diva. And, of course, monstrous piles of books I own which I haven't read.

No comments:

Post a Comment