Wednesday, September 27, 2023


What Moves the Dead, by T. Kingfisher. A Tom Doherty Associates Book, 2022

When Alex Easton, former soldier, arrives at her dear friends the Ushers’ home, she is rather surprised by what she finds. The mansion is pretty much in ruins, the lake right out front is dank and full of… something… , there are some really weird hares in the brush, and it seems deserted. Worse is the appearance of his friends: Roderick is pale and gaunt, while Madeline looks at death’s door. A doctor friend is staying with them, and he is baffled as to the cause.

Based on Poe’s The Fall of the House of Usher, the story has a lot more life to it than the original. The story is very dark- there is body horror that really got to me- but there is a lot of wit in this version. Easton’s horse, Hob, is more articulate than many people I know. The dialog is well done. I love the characters.

It’s been a long time since I read Poe’s original (I first read it when I was in elementary school), but I really don’t remember it giving me the all-out creeps. This story did. It’s based on a concept I haven’t seen used before (but I’m far from an expert in horror). The story, like it’s inspiration, is pretty short – I read it in one night- but a lot happens in it. The atmosphere is close and creepy. Everything is dark, dreary, and nothing is nice about it. Another win for the author!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment